Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Happiness Interview

1. What is your definition of happiness and how well are you living it?
My definition of happiness is being content with who you are inside and out and having the ability to maintain (at most times) a positive outlook.

2. Who is the happiest person you know? What, specifically, have they taught you about happiness?
The happiest people I know are the children I teach at the preschool. They do what feels good to them, whether it's playing a certain game, giving someone a hug, or crying. They've taught me that in order to be happy, you need to abandon your negativity, do what you need to do, and be true and honest about who you are. Don't worry about what everyone else thinks. 

3. What are the three wisest lessons about happiness you have learned in your life so far?
    - Don't worry what everyone else thinks. Worry about what you think about yourself.
    - Release your negativity into a productive outlet. Let it go. Turn it into something positive.
    - Don't judge situations or things in life as "bad," or the like. Instead, look at them as a learning experience.

4. Make a list of the possessions, achievements, people, and events you hoped would bring happiness but didn't. What did you learn?
Some things I've thought would make me happy were: A new car, a new job, being in a relationship, getting my college degree, buying clothing, receiving gifts at Christmas, getting As in school, getting praise from others, etc. I've learned that a lot of the things I thought would make me happy were material and not actually important in the scheme of my life. These are things that come and go. They don't stay with me and the "good" feeling doesn't either. Happiness does not come from things and people outside myself, it comes from within. It's all about my personal perception.


5. What is the main block to happiness in your life right now? And what do you think is the solution?
The main block to happiness in my life right now is me. I keep getting in my own way. I tell myself that something "bad" happened, or that I can't be happy yet because I didn't reach my goal. I don't allow myself to be open to happiness. The solution would be to change my way of thinking. Instead of thinking negatively all the time, try to put things into perspective and realize things aren't actually as "bad" as I think they are. Realize that I can be happy at any time if I just let myself.

6. How are you currently limiting your own happiness? What beliefs, ideas, habits, defenses, old wounds, or fears are holding you back?
I have many old wounds and fears. I've grown up the child of alcoholics and that's one of my main defenses. I always use that as a crutch to lean on when I don't have the courage to just let go and be myself. The same thing goes for my fear of not being good enough for other people. I'm so afraid I won't measure up or get approval that I sometimes retreat into myself and say "I can't do such-and-such because I'm not in control of my own actions or thoughts. My parents made me this way. It's not my fault. I'm just going to hide so I don't have to face rejection." In reality, when I do that, the only person rejecting me is myself. I'm telling myself that I don't think I'm good enough. I should be good enough. I should be good enough for me. That should be all the approval I need. When it comes down to it, the only opinion that matters is mine.

7. What are your fears of happiness? For instance, what are you afraid might happen if you were too happy?
I don't think I have any fears about happiness. I honestly don't. I want to feel happy so badly, but I just need to figure out how to let myself.

8. What would you say is the real secret to happiness?
Being true to yourself. Doing what you need to do for yourself. Not putting all your happiness on the line with someone other than yourself as judge and jury.

9. If you were to follow your joy more than ever before, what would you do differently?
I would stop caring so much about what other people think of me. I'd be myself. I'd do what gave me a great feeling.

10. What is the main gift you hope to receive from taking the happiness course?
I hope to learn how to let myself be happy and to be able to help other important people in my life to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment