Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Well-Being Pledge

The Well-Being Pledge is not about good behavior and it is not something that you should, must, or ought to do. It is about the joy of doing it and the joy you experience because you have done it. It is about self-care and self-love. The goal is to make five positive commitments to your personal well-being. 


1. Physical: I will recognize my limits and not overwork my body. It's better to take breaks as needed and function at the top of my game than it is to always work too hard and come up lame.


2. Emotional: I will realize I don't have to have the answer or be perfect all the time. Everyone messes up and everyone needs a mental time-out every once in a while. And other people are there to help. I don't have to put the weight of the world on my shoulders.


3. Mental: I will take a class when it becomes financially possible so I can learn something new. I love learning and it feels good. I will do it for me, because I want to.


4. Spiritual: I will get in tune with who I really am as a spirit, not as a body, job, relationship, fear, or medical condition. Discovering who I really am will help me to care less about everyone else's opinion of me. Does it really matter? No.


5. Blind-Spot: The two areas of well-being that I neglect the most are the emotional and spiritual. I know for a fact that I am not and have never been a spiritual person. I do not believe in a higher power, except science and chaos. But that doesn't mean I can't become more spiritually aware of my own soul. I frequently react with strong emotions, because I feel that I don't give them due attention on a regular basis. I need to realize that I'm okay, that nothing is wrong with me, that I can be happy if I so choose, and that I don't have to allow everything to pile up on me. I can ask for help so I don't emotionally explode.

No comments:

Post a Comment